Over the next year, the Faith Formation Leadership Team is incorporating a “blueprint” for Faith Formation at Holman UMC rooted in the book A Blueprint for Discipleship by Kevin Watson. Copies of the book can be found online here.
What is Faith Formation?
Faith formation is the process of being discipled in Jesus Christ. Christian discipleship must be a way of life, a life of service to God and God’s people. It is not something that only happens on Sunday or within the confines of the church building, but must be lived each day wherever we may be.
Small groups for accountability and support in faith formation are the “method” of Methodism. John and Charles Wesley, the 19th-century founders of the Methodist movement, invited people to join small “classes” where participants would hold each other accountable and support their spiritual disciplines and ministry to others.
Through faith formation we grow in our faith as an “authentic, transparent and real collection of sinners saved by grace, who aren’t afraid to tell their life stories, share their life challenges and point one another to a way of life that helps overcome all obstacles: a life walking with Jesus.”
By “watching over one another in love” our faith is formed and we grow in Christ.
There is an opportunity for Faith Formation here at Holman for every person to be nurtured in life-giving community as we worship and serve in mission together, including:
- Thursday Noon Bible Study
- Disciple Bible Study
- Focus Point Small Group
- Young Adult Ministry (YAM) Small Group
- Holman Adult Ministry (H.A.M.)
- Mosaic Quilting Ministry
- Alpha Double Ring Club
- Beta Double Ring Club
- Gamma Double Ring Club
- Book Talk
- 55+ Fellowship
- Adult Church School
- Tender Loving Care (TLC) Nursery Ministry
- Children & Youth Church School
Resources for Faith Formation:
- Christians Engaged in Faith Formation, association of United Methodists and persons from other denominations who have responsibility for Christian education or faith formation in any of its diverse forms, in and beyond the local church. (www.cefumc.org)
- How’s Your Spiritual Life? The Class Meeting for Today, August 17, 2015 (www.umc.org)